Special instructions for TUD students applying for admission to the
regular MS and/or Ph.D. program in Mechanical Engineering at Virginia Tech:
The following application process applies only to Mechanical Engineering students at
the Technische Universität Darmstadt that are interested in pursuing an MS
and/or a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at Virginia Tech, starting in
mid-January 2006 or late-August 2006.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Virginia Tech processes applications to
its graduate program on a rolling basis. However, to be given FULL consideration for
admission and assistantships/fellowships,
- COMPLETE applications for the Spring 2006 semester
must be received by the Department by October 3, 2005; and
- COMPLETE applications for the Fall 2006 semester
must be received by the Department by January 16, 2006.
Please use the following process:
- Go online and initiate an online application:
Do not use the generic PDF applications on that WWW page.
Instead, use the online version ("Apply Online") because it contains important
customizations that are specific to the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Complete the online application form, but do not submit it online. Instead, make a paper
printout of the form with your entries in it.
- You do not need to pay the US$45.00 application fee. This fee will be paid for you by
Prof. Jan Helge Bøhn, Ph.D.
- Download and provide each of your three (3) referees (i.e., professors and/or employers)
with paper copies of the reference forms:
Your referees should each fill in his or her form, place it in an envelope, sign across the seal
of the envelope, and return the envelope to you. Do not open these envelopes but include
them unopened with your application.
- Place the following items in a large envelope with your name on it:
- A printed copy of your online application (see item 1 above)
- 3 letters of recommendation, each in a signed, sealed, and unopened envelope (see item 3 above)
- Official copy of transcripts from undergraduate and graduate universities
- Official or a photocopy of test scores (general GRE and TOEFL)
- Deliver your completed application envelope to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Manfred Hampe by
September 26, 2005 for Spring 2006 admission; and by January 9, 2006 for Fall 2006 admission.
He will be collecting all the TUD applications, and will forward them as one package directly to the
Department of Mechanical Engineering at Virginia Tech:
- Mrs. Catherine L. Hill
Graduate Student Services
Mechanical Engineering (0238)
100T-1 Randolph Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Alternatively, you may submit your application online in its entirety like students from Virginia
Tech and elsewhere. However, in that case, you will be required to pay the US$45.00 application
fee, which is then not refundable. Furthermore, you should then plan to submit your application
several weeks earlier so it can make it from the Graduate School (which collects the online
applications) to the Department by the October 3, 2005 and January 16, 2006 and deadlines.